Jackrabbit offers the ability to collect charitable donations from your families in the parent portal and allows you to set the donation amounts.
Getting Set Up to Accept Donations
Donations in Jackrabbit are managed using the Store feature and the Parent Portal. Follow these steps to get Jackrabbit set up to accept charitable donations.
Step 1 - Create a vendor for the charity
Once a vendor is defined as a charity, it will be added to the drop-down list in the Accepting Donations Parent Portal setting (see Step 4 below). The charity selected from that drop-down list is added to the ♥ Give page in the Parent Portal.
- Go to the Store (menu) > Item Vendors and click Add Vendor.
- Enter the charity's name as the Vendor Name and create a Vendor ID.
- Enter the charity's tax identification number, set the Charity drop-down to Yes, and select whether or not the charity is Tax Exempt.
- Complete the contact and address information.
- Optionally, add Notes. The text entered here will display on the ♥ Give page in the Parent Portal.
- Click Save.
Note: If you are using the Swim edition of Jackrabbit, this step has been completed for you as part of our partnership with the Hope Floats Foundation.
Step 2 - Create a Transaction Type for donations
The Transaction Type appears in several places (on the Transactions tab of the Family record, in the transaction history in the Parent Portal, etc.) and helps to identify donation transactions.
- Go to the Gear (icon) > Settings > General > Drop-down Lists (left menu). Scroll down to the Transaction section and select Transaction Type.
- Click Add Row, add the label for the transaction, e.g., "Donation", and select Debit.
- Click Save Changes.
Step 3 - Add items for each donation amount
Items created with Category 1 = Charitable Donations, and a Vendor that has been designated as a charity (Step 1), will be added to the ♥ Give page in the Parent Portal. For each item, a button displays labeled "Give #" where the # is the Item Price. Parents will select a button for the amount of donation they want to make.
Note: The Charitable Donations CAT1 value is added automatically by Jackrabbit and is a reserved value (can't be edited/deleted).
- Go to the Store (menu) > Add Item.
- Create an Item #/Barcode for the donation.
- Add an Item Name; this appears as a note on itemized receipts, statements, and on the Transactions tab of the Family record.
- Because this is a non-inventory item, set Track Qty on Hand to No. Optionally add a Description and a Status for the donation item.
- Add the Item Price; this is the amount that will display in the Parent Portal, on the ♥ Give page. Set Item Tax to No Tax.
- Select Charitable Donations from the Category 1 drop-down. Select the Transaction Type added in Step 2 and optionally add a Transaction Sub-Type.
- Select the charity for the donation from the Vendor drop-down and Save Changes.
Step 4 - Enable donations in the Parent Portal settings
When Accepting Donations is set to Yes, the selected charity will be added to the ♥ Give page in the Parent Portal.
- Go to the Gear (icon) > Settings > Parent Portal > Settings (tab).
- Scroll down to the Accepting Donations section.
- Set Would you like to accept donations on behalf of a charity? to Yes.
- From the Select charity drop-down list; choose the charity to be added to the ♥ Give page in the Parent Portal.
Don't forget Jackrabbit gives you the ability to collect charitable donations, however, you control how and when to make the payment to the charity.
The Donation Process in the Parent Portal
Once you have completed the setup above, your families will see the ♥ Give option in their Parent Portal.
Immediate payment by credit card is required when a donation is made in the Parent Portal.
Reporting for Charitable Donations
In the body of the report, donations are clearly identified, and the report's totals are broken out to distinguish between donations accepted and your revenue. This makes it easy to reconcile with your Deposit Slip report for the same period, which will always show the total amount of payments collected.
The Revenue Snapshot report, as a summary of all payments that reconciles to the Deposit Slip report, will always display charitable donations.