In order to send text messages using Twilio, you must first set up an account with Twilio and then link it to Jackrabbit using the steps below. Note: For clients outside the US and Canada, please reach out to Jackrabbit Support if you need help setting up your Twilio account.
Step 1 - Create a Twilio Account
Follow these steps to create a Twilio Account and link it to Jackrabbit:
- Go to the Gear (icon) > Settings > General.
- Select Text Messages (left menu).
- Click the Connect buttonin the Twilio Account Information section.
- Click the upgraded Twilio Account red link in the Jackrabbit SMS window.
- Click the www.console.twilio.com/ link and the link to Sign up for free.
- Complete the information to start a free Twilio account.
- Click the Upgrade linkat the top of the next page to upgrade to a paid account and enter the following information:
- Enter Address
- Tax Information
- Payment Information
- Click the checkbox for Yes, if you want to enable auto recharge. When enabled the account balance will never fall below the $20 threshold. This is optional.
- Payment Method (Credit Card or Paypal accepted)
- Click Confirm payment to complete the upgrade and close the Twilio window.
- Go back to Jackrabbit (Gear icon > Settings > General > Text Messages) and click the Connect button.
- Click the Allow button in the Twilio Jackrabbit SMS window. Twilio will link to your Jackrabbit account and enable texting in your account. You will be prompted to buy at least one phone number to start texting.
- Proceed to Step 2 to buy texting phone numbers directly through Jackrabbit.
Do you already have an existing Twilio Account? If you already have an existing Twilio account, go to the Gear (icon) > Settings > General > Text Messages (left menu) and click Connect and enter your username and password to upgrade your account to link it to Jackrabbit.
Step 2 - Buy Texting Number(s)
Before you can begin texting you will need to buy at least one phone number. Buying more numbers allows you to send a higher quantity of text messages each day.
- Go to the Twilio Account Information section in Jackrabbit (Gear icon > Settings > General > Text Messages) and click the Buy Numbers button.
- Search for a different area code or zip code or keep the Area Code already displayed. Click Find Numbers.
- Twilio will offer you numbers to select from.
- If there are no new numbers available, clear the Area Code and Zip/Postal Code fields to see more options.
- Select the number(s) you wish to buy and click Buy Numbers.
You'll receive a message that your number(s) were purchased successfully.
Caution: Do not purchase phone numbers for texting directly through Twilio, they will not be linked to Jackrabbit. Follow the procedure above to buy numbers in the Text Messages section under General Settings in Jackrabbit.
Step 3 - Enable Texting
When you have successfully purchased your text number(s) you will be asked if you would like to enable texting, click Yes.
You will receive an email from Twilio informing you that your balance fell below $20.00 and that your credit card has been billed to recharge your account.
Step 4 - Designate Notification Email
All replies to text messages sent from your database are received in the form of an email.
In the Options section of the Text Messages screen, add an email address(es) to the Notification Email(s) field. All replies to text messages are received at the email address(es) listed here. You can specify multiple addresses such as firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com. If you choose to leave this field blank, replies to texts can still be sent, but you will not receive the reply.
You are now ready to start sending text messages with Twilio through your Jackrabbit database! Visit these articles to learn about the next step which is opting in message recipients: Opt-In Contacts & Students and Opt-In Staff.
Manage Your Twilio Account
From the Gear (icon) > Settings > General > Text Messages (left menu) you can access your Twilio account by clicking the Go to Twilio Account link. In your Twilio account portal, you are able to view pricing information, add funds, make changes to your auto recharge amount, view your usage summary, and more.
Billing-related questions or concerns with your Twilio account must be directed to Twilio's customer service. Jackrabbit can't assist you with Twilio-related balances or credit questions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How do I set Twilio to automatically charge my credit card when I need more texting credit?
A. When you add your billing information at account setup, you can opt to enable Auto Recharge in the account. In addition, you can Add Funds or Edit auto recharge settings at any time by logging into your Twilio account from the link provided in your Jackrabbit database on the Text Messages screen under the Gear (icon) > Settings > General > Text Messages (left menu).
To delete one of your texting numbers click the Manage Numbers button on the Text Messages screen (Gear icon > Settings > General > Text Messages).