Punch cards are a pass that is 'punched' each time a student takes a class. With the fee for all visits paid up-front, the number of prepaid classes depletes with each visit. This is a great way to offer discounted rates to students who don’t regularly attend classes with you. Jackrabbit can help you sell and track punch cards!
Use the following process to record the sale and usage of punch cards within Jackrabbit.
Get Set Up
Before selling punch cards, there are a few things to set up in Jackrabbit.
These drop-down list values will be "stamped" on your punch card transactions, allowing you to track and report on them.
|Drop-down List||List Value to Add|
|Category 1||Punch Cards||The Category 1 will organize all punch card sales for revenue reporting.|
|Transaction Type (Debit)||Punch Card Purchased||This Transaction Type will be used when a punch card is purchased.|
|Transaction Type (Debit)||Card Punched||This Transaction Type will be used when a punch card is punched (a class is taken).|
- If you won't be using a barcode or number, give the Items a label that makes it easy to look up in the Store when making a sale, e.g., Punch-10 (10 class pass) or Punch-5 (5 class pass).
- The Item Name field is recorded in the Note field of punch card transactions and will be used to record a unique punch card number when a card is sold.
- There is no need to track the quantity on hand as the Item is 'generic'; it will be used each time a punch card of that type is sold.
- Use the Category 1 and Transaction Type you created earlier in the setup.
Sell a Punch Card
There are two steps in recording the sale of a punch card.
The first step is to record the sale using the Make Sale/Post Fees button in a Family record or the Make Sale option in the Store menu.
- In the Select Store Items section, locate the Item # for the punch card denomination you are selling.
- The Item Name is populated into the Note field. Edit the note to add an identifier unique to that punch card, e.g., the family name and the date of purchase. This is necessary for tracking the card's usage.
The second step is to add a Store Item for that specific punch card. For every punch card sold, you'll create a unique store item. This Item will be 'sold' each time a punch is used on the card.
- Use the unique identifier created in the first step as the Item #/Barcode.
- The Item Name is the 'action', e.g., One class punch.
- Set Track Qty on Hand to Yes and enter the number of punches on the card in the Qty on Hand field.
- The Item Price is 0.00. There is no cost related to this Item; it is only used to record the usage of a prepaid punch card.
- Set the Re-Order Alert Qty to the original number of punches for the card, i.e., the denomination of the card.
- Use the Category 1 and Transaction Type you created in the setup.
Track Each Punch on the Punch Card
When a punch card is used, it is recorded as a 0.00 sale and reduces the Qty on Hand, allowing you to track each card's usage.
- When an Item # is searched for, the description and Qty on Hand of the Item display. Review this when punching a card to ensure there are punches available on the card.
- Each 'punch' is recorded on the family's account and provides a history of the card's usage.
- When a punch card has been completely used, edit the Store Item and change the card's Status to Inactive. The card will no longer populate in the Item # search on the Make Sale page.
Report on Punch Cards
Punch card revenue will appear on your revenue reports, including the Paid Fees report. In the Display Settings, choose Yes for Show Transaction Details.
To check the remaining classes on a card, use the List Store Items report to see the quantity on hand. Filter the report to include only Items with a Category 1 = Punch Cards (the drop-down list value added in setup).
The Sales Detail Report provides a complete register of punch card sales and usage.
Sell and track virtual e-Punch Cards through the Jackrabbit Plus mobile app. Learn more here!