Before adding a non-monetary credit, you'll want to update a couple of your drop-down lists, so that the credits can be reported separately from real revenue. Add new drop-down names by following the steps below.
- Go to the Gear (icon) > Settings > General > Drop-down Lists (left menu).
- Click Transaction Types in the left menu.
- Click Add Row.
- Add a new Transaction Type named Account Credit and set is as Credit.
- Click Save Changes.
- Click Payment Method in the left menu.
- Click Add Row to add payment methods to define the credits. (Example: Groupon, Gift Certificate, Scholarship, Fundraiser, Class Credit, etc.)
- After adding payment methods, Save Changes.
The Transaction Type: Account Credit (Credit) should never be used for monetary payments or refunds. When this Transaction Type is used, revenue is not impacted and the credit does not transfer as part of a QuickBooks export.