Watch a (3:29) video tutorial on Emailing Families, Students, Classes, or Instructors
There are a couple of different ways you can email an individual family or staff member.
In multiple areas of Jackrabbit a family, contact, student, or staff email address may be linked (underlined & clickable). When you click the email address, Jackrabbit will launch whatever email program is installed on your computer locally (if there is one). Examples: Outlook, Microsoft Mail, Thunderbird, Outlook Express. The email program will open a new email with the recipient (To field) pre-filled.
Note: If you have Outlook or another desktop email program installed but not set up, clicking the link may trigger an email client setup wizard and prompt you to specify an email address, etc. Jackrabbit can not assist you with set up of email programs.
If you access your email via a web-based client (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.) clicking the link may not work, however, the email address may be copied from Jackrabbit and pasted into the web-based email To field.
When you use a link in Jackrabbit to create an email it is sent by your email program (as opposed to being sent by Jackrabbit's email program when the email is created in your database). These emails are not tracked in Jackrabbit, i.e. there will be no record of that email in View Sent Emails on the Family record > Misc tab and it will not be reported in your Jackrabbit email activity. Families will not see those emails in their Parent (Customer) Portals.
To send an individual email from Jackrabbit's email program (as opposed to your own email program, e.g. Outlook) use the Email button located in both the Family and Staff records.
- Make sure you're on the correct Family/Staff page and click the Email button.
- If you are emailing a family check / uncheck the appropriate email address(es) in the Select Email Addresses pop-up box and click Next.
- The Email Families/Email Staff page will open with the email addresses already entered.
- Choose a pre-existing email Template, a saved Favorite, or create a new email by choosing either Email Type=HTML or Email Type=Plain Text.
- If you are not using a template, add an Email Subject Line.
- Type the email Message text.
- Click Attach File, Insert Image, or Choose from Dropbox to attach files and add images if needed. See Email Attachments and Images for more details.
- Select a reply address for Email Replies Sent To (emails shown come from Tools > Edit Settings > User IDs and Locations).
- If applicable, select Send Additional Emails To (emails shown come from Tools > Edit Settings > User IDs and Locations).
- Click Preview Email List.
- Review the Matched Recipients information. Uncheck any emails you do not want to send.
- Click Send Now to send the email immediately or click Send Later to schedule a date/time for the email to be sent. See Schedule an Email for more details.
- If you selected Send Now a green box will display to indicate the email is on its way. If you opted to Send Later you will see a blue box confirming that your email has been scheduled.
A confirmation email is automatically sent from the Jackrabbit mail server to the email address you defined as the reply email (Email Replies Sent To). This email is not the 'real' message sent to the customer. It is simply an excerpt (1st 1,000 characters) of the email notifying you that the email was sent and listing the recipients' email addresses.
An Email Log can be accessed from the Family record on the Misc tab. Email history is retained for 180 days. At this time there is no email log for staff emails.
It is not possible for Jackrabbit to indicate if your email was not received or opened by the recipient, however, the Email Bounce Report will alert you to email addresses that are having certain delivery issues. See our Best Practices article Email - Improve deliverability to learn more about why some emails may not be received.