Record an ePayment Chargeback

If a family is successful with an ePayment chargeback for a credit card payment they made previously, you'll need to adjust their account. It is recommended that you wait to record the chargeback until the final decision has been made.

If an ePayment Chargeback is decided in the customer's favor, the funds will be removed from your bank account as soon as the chargeback is initiated. If you win the dispute, the money will be put back into your account. If you lose the dispute, you will need to permanently record the chargeback on the family’s account in Jackrabbit.  

Create a drop-down value to be used for recording chargebacks from the Gear (icon) > Settings > General > Drop-down Lists (left menu) > Transaction > Payment Method.

Record a Chargeback on a Family's Account

You will use the R (refund) icon on the disputed payment to record the return of the funds while leaving the family's balance unchanged. 

This 'refund' transaction will not be sent to the gateway, you will opt to refund with a different payment method to simply record the withdrawal of funds on the family's account. 

  1. Click R next to the disputed payment from the Transactions tab of the Family record.
  2. Select Refund by Different Payment Method in the Refund Transaction window. 
  3. Select Record Refund in Jackrabbit Only in the Warning window.

  4. Select a Refund Method from the drop-down.
  5. Select the disputed fee and click Next.

  6. Because the family has disputed the fee and will not be paying it, choose Not Due in the Are Fees Still Due? window.
  7. Click Submit Refund.

The chargeback is recorded in the Family record, on the Transactions tab, and the account balance is unchanged. 

Void/Refund Error Message

Some ePayment processors will change the status of the original payment from Approved to Failed when a chargeback is initiated by the cardholder's bank. You may see this message when you select (refund) in the family's transaction list:

This means a refund cannot automatically be posted against it in Jackrabbit. This status will never be updated regardless of the final result of the dispute. To record the chargeback and adjust the account, the only option is to do the following:

  • Re-record the original ePayment by putting the original date, payment method, and Transaction ID in the note. The Transaction ID is obtained by clicking on the green circled checkmark in the ePmt column for the original payment. Click Save Payment.
  • Click on the R to record the Chargeback. Use the date when you found out about the Chargeback.
  • Delete the original ePayment and add a deletion note of "re-recording to record ePayment and Chargeback."