With Jackrabbit's Note feature, you can create and keep detailed and searchable notes regarding your families, students, classes, and staff.
These notes are not visible in the Parent Portal or the Staff Portal.
The Family, Student, Class, and Staff records each include a Notes tab where you create and store your related notes, and the Notes grid allows you to work with the information in all of those records simultaneously, from one place!
- Strengthen communication among your staff; alerts highlight new notes to ensure nothing important is missed.
- Search, tag, and filter all of the notes in the various records and work with them as a group.
- Notes are secure and are only viewable within Jackrabbit.
The Notes Tab
The Notes tab in the Family, Student, Class, and Staff records is where notes are stored. From this tab, notes can be added, edited, or deleted. You can search the notes in that record, filter the notes by tag, and sort the notes by the date created or by the date modified.
Expand each section below for more information about Notes.
Create a Note in the Family, Student, Class, or Staff Record
Click the + New Note button on the Notes tab to add a note. Note titles are limited to 150 characters. However, the body of the note has no maximum character count. Optionally, tags can be added to organize your notes. See below for more information on tagging.
Create a Note in the Families (menu) > All Families
Add a note to an individual family:
- Go to the Families menu > All Families > click the row menu> select Add a Note.
- Enter the information into the Add a Note pop-up window:
- Title, Note, and Tag (if applicable)
- Click Add. The note can be edited or deleted from the Family record.
Create Notes in the Students (menu) > All Students
Add a Note to an Individual Student
|Add a Note to a Group of Students|
Select all the students in the grid by leaving the checkbox in the 1st column unchecked. Or check the students in the 1st column to create a group.
Create Notes in the Classes (menu) > All Classes
|Add a Note to a Single Class|
|Add a Note to a Group of Classes|
Select all the classes in the grid by leaving the checkbox in the 1st column unchecked. Or check the classes in the 1st column to create a group.
Edit or Delete a Note
Individual notes can be edited or deleted from the Notes tab using the Edit and Delete links in each note. Notes can also be edited or deleted in the Notes grid.
The Notes Grid
The Notes grid, found under the Reports (menu) > Find Reports > enter Notes in Keyword Search, allows you to work with all of the notes throughout your system from one screen.
Jackrabbit grids are very powerful and allow you to customize your layout, search and filter your results, and manage your notes. Learn more about these grids in our Help article Work with Grids in Jackrabbit.
Here are some grid highlights that relate specifically to Notes:
- Mass delete notes - select one or more rows with the checkboxes in the 1st column and click the More (icon)to delete the selected notes.
- Export data - leave the checkboxes in the 1st column unchecked and click the More (icon)to export the data in the grid to Excel.
- Edit or delete a note - the Row Menu (icon) to update or delete a single note.
- Refresh the data - click the Refresh Grid (icon) to refresh the data in the grid.
Add Tags to Notes
Tags enable you to group and organize your notes. Think of it as though the notes were on pieces of paper, and you wanted to put them in a folder to keep them together. What would you name that folder? That is a tag. Tags also allow you to filter for a specific tag and pull up only the notes that have been given that tag making it easy to find topics at a glance.
Add a tag "Phone Call" and assign it to each note that is added regarding a phone conversation. This would allow you to look at only the notes you've made regarding phone calls you've had with the family, student, or staff member.
Add a Tag to a Note
A tag can be added to a note when it is first created or by editing the note if it was added previously.
- Use the Edit link to open the note if it was created previously.
- In either the Edit note or Add note window, click into the Tags field to display existing tags.
- Start typing the tag to see if it already exists. If the tag doesn't exist, use the + to add the tag. Multiple tags can be added to a note.
- Click Update when you have finished adding tags.
Delete a Tag from a Note
To remove a tag from a note, click the Edit link to open the note. Click on the x in the tag badge to remove it. Note: This does not delete the tag itself; it only removes the tag from the note.
Jackrabbit offers several ways to take note of important information for your business. For a complete list, refer to There are Different Types of Notes in Jackrabbit - Where can I view them?