The definition of the word location is "a particular place or position", but what does Location in Jackrabbit refer to?
Business Locations are a setting in your Jackrabbit system (Gear icon > Settings > General > Business Locations - left menu) that can be used to separate business activities as well as set access permissions for different Jackrabbit Users.
When your Jackrabbit system was first created, a Business Location value was automatically added. A minimum of one Location is required. However, you can have as many Locations as you need - there are no additional fees for extra Locations! Refer to Add, Edit, or Delete a Business Location for more information.
How Business Locations Affect the Jackrabbit System (Database)
Single Location Database - When there is only one Business Location in your Jackrabbit system, the Location setting has very little impact. All data within Jackrabbit is assigned a Location value (families, classes, transactions, etc.). With only one Location available, all data is assigned to that Location.
Multiple Location Database - There are several effects of having multiple Business Locations in Jackrabbit.
- All data within Jackrabbit is assigned a Location value (families, classes, transactions, etc.). Classes can be assigned a Location based on where they are held. Families can be assigned a Location based on where they live. You can track your revenue based on the Location of the class taken or by the Location of the family who took the class. The choice is yours! See Revenue Tracking with Multiple Business Locations for full details.
- Drop-down lists and report filters throughout Jackrabbit will allow you to report on families, classes, transactions (revenue), etc., for each Location separately or for all Locations.
- You can limit the access your Users have to information in your database by Location. See Set/Edit Jackrabbit User ID Permissions for more information.
- Online Registration can be streamlined with the ability to group your Class Listings Tables by Location.
- Families who take classes in multiple Locations will need only one Parent Portal login to be able to access all of their student enrollment information.
If you think that multiple Locations are for you, check out our section of articles Work With Multiple Business Locations in Jackrabbit to learn more!
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Why would I want more than one Business Location in my database?
A. There are a number of reasons why you might opt to add additional Business Locations. Here are a few examples:
- You have multiple physical locations and want to keep track of everything in one database but have the ability to report on each location separately.
- You have multiple programs operating in the same facility and want to share one database, but you need to lock down access to information based on the program.
- You have a partner and share a facility, customers, and one database but need to keep the finances separate for each of you.
Q. How is a family's Business Location determined?
A. A family's Business Location is determined during registration and is located on the Summary tab of their Family record.
- Registrations are done from within Jackrabbit - the Location for the family is selected by the User when a family is added from the Families (menu):
- Families (menu) > Quick Registration
- Families (menu) > All Families > Add New Family (icon)> Use Quick Registration Form button (preferred) or Enter Family Name Only (link).
- Registrations done through Online Registration - the Location for the family is determined by one of the following:
- The first class selected during registration.
- The first alphabetical Location is listed in your database when there are no classes selected.