Watch a (2:30) video tutorial on Working with Grids in Jackrabbit
Wait! What is a grid?
Throughout your Jackrabbit database you will see grids, sometimes referred to as tables. These grids display the data you have entered into your database.
Jackrabbit grids are very powerful - allowing you to group, sort, filter for specific information, and more!
Click HERE to view the grid 'anatomy' to get an idea of where everything is located (opens in a new browser window so you can go back and forth to it as needed while reading this article).
Working with Grids
There are many features in the grids that can be used to customize the data displayed. Note: Not all features are available in every grid throughout Jackrabbit.
Drag and drop column headers to the grouping bar to create groups within your report.
- Sort your groups in ascending or descending order by clicking on the column header in the grouping bar.
- When multiple columns are added to the grouping bar, the first column on the left is the first level of grouping. The second column added to the grouping bar will group the rows within the first column, etc.
- Click and drag the column headers in the grouping bar to change the grouping order.
- Use the X to clear a column from the bar.
The data in a grid can be sorted using a few different methods:
- Click on the column header to sort. An arrow will display to illustrate the current sorting order; no arrow indicates that no sorting has been done on the column.
- Use the column menu to access the sorting options for the column.
- Sort multiple columns by dragging them to the grouping bar where you can click on the column headers there to sort the grouped results. Note: If columns are sorted using both methods, the sorting indicated in the grouping bar overrides the sorting from the column headers.
Columns in the grids can be filtered from the column menu. More than one column can be filtered at a time.
Some filtering will list all values in the column with check boxes and a search field while other filters allow you to define the filter with options such as "Is equal to" or "Contains".
When a column has been filtered, the column menu is highlighted in blue.
When one or more selections have been made in the selections column, you can use the mass action icons available to act on several rows at one time, e.g., mass delete rows.
Use the check box in the column header to select all records that are currently displayed. If the paging information shows more than one page, be sure to use the items per page drop-down and select All to select all items on all pages.
Other Ways to Customize the Grids
- You can reorder the columns in a grid by clicking and dragging them to the spots you want them in. Two arrowheads indicate where the column will drop (behind the arrowheads).
- Pick and choose which columns you want displayed using the Columns option from any column menu.
- When you are working with a grid that has many columns you will use the horizontal scroll bar to see the information on the far right of the grid. From a column menu you can lock that column so that when you scroll horizontally, that column will remain in the display while the remainder of the columns scroll.
- From settings you can increase or decrease the size of the grid. Here you are also able to save all of the customizations you've made and make it the default layout for your User ID or reset the layout to the original state.